Keith is a percussionist/rhythm-dancer/educator whose artistic vision has straddled the line between music and dance for more than four decades. Since 1978 he has been developing a contemporary style of Body Music based on his training as a jazz drummer, as well as his years of intensive study and collaboration with world rhythmic systems. Keith tours extensively in the Americas, Asia, and Europe, where his Body Music performances, workshops, residencies and choreographic commissions are popular among professional performers and educators. He is the founder of Crosspulse, Slamming All-Body Band, and the International Body Music Festival.
03:00 to 04:30 PM Time Slot 1
[bg_collapse view="link" color="#4a4949" icon="arrow" expand_text="Show More" collapse_text="Show Less" ]
Since 1978 Keith Terry has developed a contemporary style of Body Music based on his training as a jazz drummer plus his years of intensive study and collaboration with world rhythmic systems. Using the oldest instrument on the planet -- the human body — we'll clap, slap, snap, step and vocalize our way through some very fun and funky, original and traditional rhythmic music, as we explore polyrhythms, polymeters, phasing, half time/double time, crosspulses, and visual rhythms. Open your ears (and eyes), expand your rhythmic horizons.
- Enhance the development of time and timing
- Deepen your ensemble awareness
- Bypass the cognitive brain; internalize rhythmic skills in the body
- Exercise your neurology, as you practice to balance your left and right sides of the body
- Further develop your coordination to simultaneously vocalize and play rhythms with precision and musicality, while moving in space (choreography)
Prerequisite: Please be comfortable with Keith’s Rhythm Blocks and Crosspulses (hemiola)— directly with his workshops, or through study with his instructional videos — so that we can progress quickly.